Treatment for breast cancers have come a long way in the last few decades. With technological advancements in everything from diagnostic imaging, which is helping to catch tumors and breast abnormalities earlier, to sophisticated drug therapies and surgical techniques, the survival rates for localized cancers are roughly 99% and 84% respectively. Localized cancer cells have not spread beyond the breast, and regionalized cancer cells have spread to a limited area outside the breast, like the lymph nodes.
The treatment options for breast cancer vary from patient to patient, and depend on a number of variables including the type, size, grade, stage, and location of the tumors. Breast cancers caught in the earlier stages (I and II) have the highest likelihood of successful treatment. Breast surgeon Dr. Sadia Khan and the oncology team at the Hoag Breast Center in Newport Beach embrace modern, cutting edge approaches to treating cancer in order to offer all patients, especially young and high risk women, the best possible outcome after a breast cancer diagnosis.
Continue Reading ↓
Standard Breast Cancer Treatments and Care
Once a patient has been diagnosed with breast cancer and Dr. Khan and the oncology team at Hoag have compiled a comprehensive and detailed pathology report for the patient, which is a collection of all test results determining where the cancer is located, how advanced it is, and whether it has metastasized (spread) to other parts of the body outside of the breast, a recommendation for the most effective form of treatment can be made.
Standard breast cancer treatments include:
- Lumpectomy – Surgical removal of the tumor and a small sample of the surrounding tissue (margin) around the tumor
- Mastectomy – Surgical removal of one or both breasts.
- Radiation – Ionizing radiation is used to target tumors, usually localized to a definable area.
- Chemotherapy – Cancer is targeted with the use of chemotherapeutic agents made up of specific cancer drugs.
Breast Cancer Treatment at Hoag Breast Center
Dr. Khan and the oncology team at Hoag Breast Center strive to go beyond the standard methods of cancer treatment, and to offer patients the most advanced, proven methods available in order to both treat the cancer successfully, and to offer patients an enriched quality of life after treatment has been completed.
Dr. Khan is fellowship trained in oncoplastic surgery and breast saving cancer treatment. The state of the art breast cancer treatments available at Hoag Breast Center include:
- Oncoplastic surgery and extreme oncoplasty (plastic surgery techniques applied at time of cancer surgery)
- Intraoperative radiation therapy (one dose high intensity radiation therapy administered at time of surgery)
- Skin and nipple sparing mastectomy
- Khan also offers treatment for benign breast disease
Contact a Breast Cancer Specialist Today
For compassionate, professional diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer, do not hesitate to contact Dr. Sadia Khan, a fellowship-trained breast surgeon at Hoag Breast Care Center in Newport Beach. Please call 949.390.9381 to schedule a comprehensive consultation today!
Next, read Patient Info.